Monday, February 9, 2009

Photos, Pricing, and My Credentials

<-- Flowers and Pearls

Here is a sample of possible flower work that can be done in royal icing.  My leaves are always done in buttercream.  

This cake would cost $26.

This was my final cake from Wilton course three, and having taken courses one through three, I am qualified to teach cake decorating for Wilton, in craft stores and the like.  I worked in a bakery as a cake decorator for four months - I had to stop to return to school.  My specialities there were large sheet birthday cakes, scored sheet cakes for weddings (with a rosebud on each piece), and the occasional custom cake, which is where I learned to love custom work.



<-- Sleeping Beauty

My first custom birthday cake, about one year ago, for my six-year-old cousin.  This is Sleeping Beauty, which she requested specially about a month in advance.

This cake would cost $12.






<-- Blue Roses

This is a 6-inch round covered in marshmallow fondant, which tastes infinitely better than regular fondant and looks the same.

This cake would cost $12, and would make a terrific anniversary cake or other cake to be shared by just two.





<-- Garden Ballerina

This is my second custom birthday cake, for the sister of the afore-mentioned cousin.  She requested a ballerina cake and chose where to put each flower.

This cake was gluten-free - her mother baked it.  I can definitely work around such an arrangement, and since the cake itself did not come from my own kitchen, it would be cheaper.

Normally, this cake would cost $12.  In the above-mentioned case, it would be $10.

<-- Hearts and Roses

This is a wedding cake for another cousin.  It is three heart-shaped layers tall covered in buttercream.  I would not recommend roses this deep red unless absolutely necessary (I used two whole little bottles of red food coloring making them), but they are doable.

This cake would cost $70; $52 for the various parts, and an extra $18 for added effort, extra planning, and the fact that such cakes take an entire day to complete.







Basic Pricing:

All cakes automatically come 2-layer, covered with a base of any single color of buttercream, even fondant-covered cakes (the buttercream makes the fondant stick and helps it look smoother).  Though I can recreate cakes I have made in the past, I cannot guarantee that colors will match perfectly.

I can do any cake that comes in a box, and can make chocolate, German chocolate, vanilla, applesauce spice, and regular spice from scratch.  Please add $2 to the price of any German chocolate or applesauce spice cake, as these require special ingredients.

I reserve the right to charge extra if decorations are copious (for example, if you want twenty buttercream roses), but I will always inform you of this at the time we decide on the details of the cake.  I require at least one week's notice to do any cake.  "Last minute cakes" will incur a fee to be decided by myself, depending on the difficulty of the cake and the lateness of the request.  I will always tell you what that fee is up-front.

Last minute changes cannot be made within 24 hours of your cake's pick-up or delivery time.  Before that, they will incur a fee of $1-$3 depending on the nature of the change and the lateness of it.  

Payment must be made at the time the cake is ordered, not upon delivery.  Cancelled cakes will incur a 10% fee if I have not started baking, but the fee will rise the closer I was to completing the project.

I reserve the right to publish photos of my cakes on this blog, in my personal portfolio, and anywhere else I choose.  I will never disclose the names of those who ordered them (names on cakes will be blurred), but I will name both the type of event (kid's birthday, anniversary, etc.) and the cake's price.

The standard size for a birthday cake is 8 inches.

6-inch with base frosting:  $8
8-inch with base frosting:  $8
10-inch with base frosting:  $11
12-inch with base frosting: $14
14-inch with base frosting: $19
16-inch with base frosting: $24

Multi-tier cakes: $1 per extra tier for effort

Star-tip design covering cake (see Sleeping Beauty):  $3 per tier
Buttercream flowers: no charge
Writing: no charge
Pre-made royal icing flowers: $1 per tier
New royal flowers or color-flow decorations: $3 per tier
Lace-work, drapery, other complex piping: $3 per tier
Barbie-dress border (see wedding cake):  $1 per tier
Marshmallow fondant:  $3 per tier
Fondant (not marshmallow) decorations:  $3 per tier

Extra touches (i.e., a Barbie stuck into the cake, plastic cars driving on the cake, etc.): $1 plus the price of the toy if I had to buy the toy.  If you bring me the toy, there is no charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment